I’m Amber, the author of the Sword and Rose Chronicles, a medieval saga following the adventures of a deposed prince striving to regain his throne. Here are ten things you might not know about me:
1) I’m Catholic and my faith forms me as a writer. I don’t care for books loaded with curse words, sex, and drugs. I also don’t like books written in a preachy tone. All I want is good clean adventure, and that’s exactly what you’ll find in my series.
2) I’ve had epilepsy since I was four. This one appears to be a bummer at first. I can’t live alone because of the seizures, the meds can make me tired and cranky, and every time I have to fill out a form, the seizures need to be listed on it. On the other hand, I’m very blessed. If it weren’t for the seizures, I might not be a writer.
3) I was homeschooled from K-12 with Seton Home Study School. This is one of the best things that ever happened to me. In fact, because of the homeschooling I was able to essentially drop my high school work for about a year to work on my first book.
4) I’m a letter writer. Since I was nine, I’ve exchanged hundreds of letters with my best friend. I love letter writing so much that I have the characters write letters in my books.
5) Writing wasn’t always a dream of mine. When I began writing Quest for Freedom, it was a practical decision. I was behind in high school and the seizures made college or a ‘real’ job sound like bleak prospects. So, taking my best friend’s advice, I decided to become a writer.
6) I’m from a family of six. This is how my main character, Marisa, ended up with a larger family. I have three siblings, so I thought it’d be nice to give her three as well. The only difference is that mine are all brothers, while she has a sister.
7) I’m a music addict. While working, I’m always listening to music, mostly classical or motion picture soundtracks. Often, I imagine scenes for my books while listening to a particular song. The first verse of “I Vow to Thee, My Country,” for example, basically forms the theme song for one of my characters.
8) Baking is one of my hobbies, much to the delight of my brothers. If you ever read about my character Alice complaining about having her batter raided, you now know where that idea came from.
9) I’m an ISTJ.
10) I’m a cat lover.